Iranian Saffron Ice cream
- 100 grams sugar
- 4 egg yolks (big and very fresh)
- 250 ml milk
- 284 ml heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios (shelled and coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup rose water
- Break the egg yolks and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Heat the milk slowly in a pan to boiling point.
- Crush most of the saffron with a mortar and pestle, and put half of the powder into the milk
- Pour the heated milk over the egg mixture, beating all the time.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens slightly to form a coating over the back of the spoon (do not let it boil).
- Add your pistachios and rose water
- Pour into a bowl, cool then refrigerate until chilled, stir in the cream and rosewater then either churn in an ice-cream maker or pour into a shallow plastic box and place in the freezer until completely frozen .
- 30 minutes before serving, place the ice cream in the fridge to soften.
No ice cream maker? No problem! Pour the cream into a freeze proof container and freeze for a couple of hours. Take it out and whip it with an electric mixer or immersion blender, freeze it again, whip it again....do that four or five times. The mixture won't be quite the same but pretty darn close.