Pistachios Fruit-Saffron Cake
- 3 seedless fruits (including lemon, orange) washed, divided
- 1 teaspoon pure saffron
- 100 grams sugar
- 4 egg (big and very fresh)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw pistachios (shelled and coarsely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- Put two whole oranges (unpeeled) in microwave safe bowl and cover. Heats on high power until oranges are very soft and liquid are beginning to pool at bottom of bowl, 6 to 8 minutes. When oranges are cool enough to handle, slice into quarters and process in food processor until pureed.
- Crush most of the saffron with a mortar and pestle, and put half of the powder then in small bowl, stir 1 tablespoon of the juice in bottom of bowl with 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads.
- In large bowl, Break the egg and sugar together until smooth and creamy then add rest of dry ingredients. Add a couple of tablespoons of warm milk and water mix. Then draw in mixture from the outside to cover the yeast.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave for 10 minutes.
- When the yeast starts to bubble, add cooled saffron and enough lukewarm milk and water to mix to a soft sticky dough. Put in a warm place, covered with damp cloth, until doubled in size.
- Place tablespoons of mixture on baking tray, lined with parchment, and spacing well. Return to a warm place to allow rising.
- Bake in a hot oven 350°F. Line 9-inch for 10-15 minutes
- Zest strips of outer peel from remaining orange and then juice orange. In small saucepan heat zest, juice, honey, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads until warm.
- Invert cake onto serving plate and remove paper. Poke holes into cake with skewer and pour syrup over cake. Cool to room temperature and serve.